Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Food and Fun in Qingdao

Today was interesting, to say the least. My roommate Jennings and I have been waking up pretty early - about 5:00 a.m. We sat for a little while and studied for our class right before going to KFC or "Ken de ji" as it's known over here. We came back for our first class of the summer at 8:15. I think this summer is going to be a lot of fun - definitely more fun than sitting around Mississippi :) After class, I went to lunch with nine other people, and lunch was 84 yuan. Yes, ten of us ate relatively large meals for about 11 US dollars. I love China.

That was our normal meal, though. After lunch, Ryan, Jennings and I went to tour Qingdao's pier and Ba Da Guan (the 8 big forts). At the pier, we ate little crabs on a stick and at Ba Da Guan, we ate spicy squid from some sketchy little street vendor. Apparently Ba Da Guan is a popular place for wedding pictures because we saw (and I'm not exaggerating) at least 20 brides and grooms taking pictures along the beach and by the trees. Also, there were a lot of people hunting for crabs, mussels, etc. in the rocks on the beach.

I have pictures of all this, but I still don't have internet in my room, so I can't put them up yet. Maybe soon, though. I miss everyone already, and I'll see you in August!

Finally, some of my friends have really interesting blogs, so if you get a chance you should read theirs. This is Jennings Treutel's and this is Nathan Taylor's. When I find out who else has them, I'll link to theirs too.

Matthew

No comments: